Section 8 Housing Information for
Prospective Landlords

Landlords in the Housing Choice Voucher program provide families with a healthy, safe and affordable place to live. The dwelling unit must pass Housing Quality Standards and be maintained up to those standards as long as the owner receives housing assistance payments. In addition, the landlord is expected to provide the services agreed to as part of the lease signed with the tenant and the contract signed with OHFA.

How do I become a Section 8 Landlord?

To rent to a person with a Section 8 voucher, you should indicate in the advertising of your property that you welcome Section 8 voucher holders. OHFA utilizes for landlords to list available properties. Section 8 voucher-holders are referred to this site when searching for available housing.



Landlords must screen Section 8 voucher-holders just as you would any other prospective tenant.


The rent requested for the unit must be reasonable as compared to similar unassisted units in the area.


The unit must pass a Housing Quality Standards inspection before a Housing Assistance Payments contract is approved and rental assistance is paid by OHFA.


Landlords must comply with the terms of the HAP Contract and applicable regulations.


Landlords must also enforce their lease, ensure the unit continues to comply with HQS requirements, and collect the tenant’s portion of rent.


Get in touch with our team

Kenneth Love, Field Operations Manager

Quinton Germany, Field Operations Supervisor

Skip to content