Printer Icon Print   

Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  What is the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program?
A:  The housing choice voucher program is the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to rent decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private marketParticipants choose where they want live and what type of housing they want to live in, such as an apartment, single-family home, townhouse, or manufactured home.

Q:  How do I apply for assistance?
A: Complete and submit an application here

Q:  How long will it take for me to receive assistance?
A:  If you are already on our waiting list, it could take several months to several years to get assistance.  OHFA receives hundreds of applications every month.  The applications are processed in the order they are received.  Applications received from applicants with a verified disability and applicants verified as living in a homeless shelter are processed before all other applications.  Each time OHFA receives an application from someone with a verified disability or someone verified as living in a homeless shelter, the wait time is extended for all other applicants.

Q:  I’m currently receiving assistance but I want to move.   What do I need to do?
A:  You should submit your request to move in writing to OHFA.  If your request is approved, OHFA will send you a voucher authorizing you to search for new housing.  You will have sixty (60) days to find new housing and request an inspection from OHFA.  You do not have to move from your current place while you are searching for a new place.  OHFA will continue making monthly payments to the landlord on your behalf.  However, before you move to your new place, you must give your landlord written notice.  The amount of notice your landlord requires can be found in your lease.  If you fail to give your landlord written notice before moving, you may lose your Section 8 voucher and be prohibited from reapplying for assistance for three years. Please be sure to provide ample time for processing.

Q: How do I report suspicious or fraudulent activity? 
A:  Please report suspicions of fraud to OHFA’s fraud investigator at (800) 256-1489 ext 274 or locally at (405) 419-8274.  Callers can remain anonymous.  You may also report suspicions of fraud by clicking the “Renters & Landlords” link under the Contact Us section at the very bottom of this page and selecting “Fraud” from the list of categories.

Q:  I am a landlord and my tenant has not paid their portion of the rent.  What do I do?
A:  You should take the same action against the assisted tenant that you would take against an unassisted tenant.  OHFA is not a party to the lease, and therefore, has no authority to enforce it.  However, serious lease violations, such as non-payment of rent, are cause for OHFA to terminate a family’s participation in the program.  Please notify OHFA in writing when serious lease violations occur and when legal action has been taken against an assisted tenant.

Q:  I am a landlord and have not received my housing assistance payment from OHFA.  Who do I contact? 
A:  Please call toll free (800) 256-1489 ext 2898 or locally (405) 848-1144 ext 2898 to speak with a Housing Program Payment Specialist.

Q:  I am a tenant and have not received my utility reimbursement payment from OHFA.  Who do I contact?
A:  Please call toll free (800) 256-1489 ext 2898 or locally (405) 848-1144 ext 2898 to speak with a Housing Program Payment Specialist.

  [Skip to Content] Home | About OHFA | Home Buyers | Renters & Landlords | Developers | Lenders | Media Center
Privacy Policy

Copyright 2001 - 2011 © Oklahoma Housing Finance Agency
Adobe Acrobat